Sports and performance medicine
We’ll help you return to the activities you enjoy as quickly and safely as possible.
If you’ve been injured while exercising or participating in a sport, our sports medicine specialists can help. They provide expert diagnosis and complete nonsurgical care for athletes and nonathletes of all ages.
Several of our doctors have advanced training in this area of medicine. They create patient-centered treatment plans and work with other specialists in our musculoskeletal program. The goal is to help patients engage safely in sports and other activities.
Care for ages 4 and up
We care for:
- Patients who've been hurt or have physical limits because of injury or health problems
- Special populations, like pregnant women and performing artists
We also teach patients how to stop injuries before they happen.
Services include care for:
- Ankle sprains
- Knee and shoulder injuries
- Broken bones (nonsurgical care)
- Concussions (head injuries) from playing sports
- Muscles, bones and joints (where two bones meet) needing nonsurgical care
- Sports and work injuries from overuse
Organized sports visits include:
- Return-to-play decisions for sick or injured athletes
- Sports physicals
Expertise to help keep athletes healthy and playing their best, such as:
- At-home training plans to help you build strength and keep from getting injured
- Telephone visits with coaches, trainers and athletes
- Tips to keep injuries from happening
Specialized care includes:
- Tenex for tendon pain
- Joint injections to ease pain
- Ultrasound to find problems with soft tissues and joints
- Osteopathic manipulation therapy (hands-on care that helps the body heal itself)
- Injections (shots) using platelet-rich plasma (helpful for osteoarthritis, torn tendons/ligaments, ongoing tendon pain)
Call 1-206-860-5584 to schedule an appointment or for more information. Fax forms, patient referrals and other documents to 1-206-720-7428.
Complete musculoskeletal care
Acupuncture is part of a larger musculoskeletal program at The Polyclinic that also includes:
- Physical therapy
- Physical medicine and rehabilitation
- Sports and performance medicine
The therapists, physicians and surgeons in these areas work closely together to provide complete, coordinated care.