American Board of Urology
Dr. Desai earned his medical degree from Medical College of Wisconsin and completed an internship in general surgery and a residency in urology at the University of Illinois in Chicago, IL. He also studied at Wake Forest University and completed a fellowship in laparoscopy and endourology.
Dr. Desai’s special interests include minimally invasive treatment for urologic stone disease, urologic cancers, enlarged prostate, and ureteral obstruction. He is also a specialist in:
- Robotic (da Vinci) radical prostatectomy with nerve-sparing
- Robotic (da Vinci) partial nephrectomy
- Robotic (da Vinci) pyeloplasty for UPJ obstruction
- Laparoscopic radical nephrectomy
- Percutaneous nephrostolithotomy
- Ureteroscopy with laser lithotripsy
- Extracorporeal Shock-wave lithotripsy (ESWL)
- No-scalpel vasectomy
- Greenlight Photovaporization of the Prostate
- Button Transurethral Vaporization of the Prostate
- Cystoscopic Botox injection for incontinence
Some of the doctor's most recent clinical presentations include:
- Accuracy of Urinary Dipstick Testing for pH Manipulation Therapy. World Congress of Endourology, Cancun, Mexico, November 2007. (Accepted for presentation at American Urological Association General Meeting in Orlando, FL, May 2008.)
- The Role of Laparoscopic Stone Surgery. World Congress of Endourology, Cancun, Mexico, November 2007.
- Oxalate Absorption in the Gastrointestinal Tract. World Congress of Endourology, Cleveland, OH, August 2006.
"As a physician, I enjoy helping patients truly understand the nuances of their diagnosis so that they can decide on the treatment plan that best fits them. I have found that the use of drawings and diagrams assists patients in visualizing complex problems so that they can make an informed choice.”
Dr. Desai and his wife enjoy playing golf and tennis together, as well as outdoor activities with their two small boys. The doctor is a volunteer speaker at his son’s school, helping children of all ages understand the importance of a healthy lifestyle.